Saturday, February 7, 2015

The Simpsons, Tally & I: Sharing Your Interests with your Grandchild




Tally and I wait, not quite patiently, for the mailman to come. What are we waiting for, you ask? The latest Simpson’s character action figure to arrive to add to our collection. I have found this shared collection has been a great way to connect with my granddaughter.

I own a collection of Simpson action figures, which my granddaughter noticed a few months ago and asked to play with. She enjoyed playing make-believe with them. She would always ask me what the character’s name was and who he/she was related to. Eventually, she asked to watch The Simpsons. With Mom’s permission, she and I have watched more episodes than I can even recall. She loves to hold up one of the characters when it comes on the screen. But when a character comes on the screen that we do not have, she gets my laptop, and we search to see if we can find one online. As we search, I show her how to tell if something is a good price and even to look at the seller’s feedback.

Through this collection, I have found a buddy to share my interests with, and Tally has learned some valuable lessons about memory, the value of things, and even, through the looking at the feedback, that is important to be reliable and do what you said you would do. My suggestion to other grandparents and parents is to look at your own interests and hobbies and see how you can bring the child in your life into them with you. You will enjoy time even more with your grandchild and will be creating unique memories for both of you.

And yes, our waiting for the mailman was worth it. Mr. Smither’s arrived that day and Tally was thrilled.” We are still waiting for Apu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment