Wednesday, February 18, 2015

IMAGINATIONS AT PLAY: A place that lives up to its name



   
 This week is Winter Break for the children here on Long Island, so, since Tally didn’t have school, I decided to take her to a place that I had heard so much about: Imaginations at Play in Ronkonkoma. My daughter had taken my granddaughter there before, so I had it from a reliable source that we would have fun (or at least Tally would).

     When we arrived, I scanned the area and found what I think is a unique set-up. To the right were tables, chairs, benches and a café, but the magic was to the left. There were cubicles about 15 feet square, each with a different theme: one filled with building blocks and Legos©; the next was devoted to all things pirate. The next, and the one Tally gravitated to first, was filled with dress-up clothes and a stage. Next to that were similar cubicles with a kitchen/store set-up, dollhouse set-up, art station, and sandbox. Next to the sandbox was a large water table (they provide waterproof smocks). Finally, Tally took me to her favorite part; around the corner was a huge bounce castle and next to that a large jungle gym. But the most refreshing thing was that there wasn't a computer or video game in sight. The energy there was all supplied by the imaginations of the children.

 The place was packed, but you really wouldn't know it. There was no waiting to do anything, and I always found a chair where I could sit and watch Tally. She is such an amazing little person, and this little excursion has given me the time and opportunity to revel in that.

Since we adults were basically just observers, I got the chance to see the other children there. One of the things I noticed was that with a few minor exceptions, the children shared all the toys together and played well. I was amazed when my granddaughter just walked up to a group of girls playing on the stage and joined them, not hanging back, as an adult might do, to see if she would be asked to join them. She just assumed they would want to play with her, and they did. 





Check out their website:

No comments:

Post a Comment